July 13, 2008

oat scones with dates and raisins

I woke up this morning requiring a little something to soak up the booze from Saturday night: I've been laying low all week after our car accident, and after a nice long dinner at Chez Nous, then a pint at Lovejoy's, er... 2 more beers while watching Wanted at the Alamo, and ah, 2 more at the Continental Club to see Bobby Bare Jr! We had a great time, and it was sooo good to forget about my banged-up knee and the events of the previous week.

So, Sunday morning called for some breakfast sweets. I was craving oats, but didn't want oatmeal. When it's still 90 degrees at 11 pm, and the days are regularly peaking to 103, hot cereals are not called for.


Anyhoo, I decided to try something from the Joy of Cooking. These scones are a big diversion from my favorite recipe, but if you like a lighter, more buttery and biscuit-like scone, you may want to try these. My husband--a serious biscuit and honey aficionado, true to his southern roots--really liked them, whereas I can rarely get him to work up much enthusiasm for the denser version.

The crumb on these is nice and soft, and the flavor is mellow and buttery.

Oat Scones with Raisins and Dates
Adapted from the Joy of Cooking

Preheat oven to 450o.

Whisk together:
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt*

Stir in:
1 1/4 c old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 c raisins and/or chopped dates

Whisk together and then add:
1 egg
8 T butter, melted
1/3 c milk

Mix together until the dry ingredients are moistened. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and pat into a 3/4 inch thick round. Sprinkle the dough with 1/2 t kosher salt. Cut the dough into 6-8 triangles and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the scones are nice and golden brown.


Yes, zee dough will indeed be sticky.

Here's the flattened and scored dough. Transferring a soft and sticky dough like this is made much easier with a bench knife.

*Post script: I wish I'd added some spice to these! I think some allspice or maybe cardamom would have made them more interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll have one of the sous chefs make this for me. They are such better bakers than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 14, 2008

    This looks unreal and perfect for my tastes!

    ReplyDelete