July 1, 2008

hearth bread, how you taunt me

Oh, the emotional roller coaster of baking bread. Damn you, yeast!

I'm on my 2nd attempt at baking bread in two days. The first batch tonight, after 24 hours of allegedly developing a richer flavor in the fridge, the dough turned to glue in the mixer. Admittedly, this was to be expected: I accidentally tossed the salt in far too early, and likely killed all the little yeasties. I just thought I'd give it a try.

Here's attempt number two, during which I meticulously follow each word of Beranbaum's instructions, and read each word twice whilst trying to soak up every possible grain (tee hee! a pun; my apologies) of baking wisdom.

Please, bubble through, little sponge!! Now to insert toothpicks into my eyes and stay up past my desired bedtime in the hopes of Successful Crusty Bread.

The dusty apron, awaiting use once more.

4 comments:

  1. You're a better person than I. Yeast and I, we don't get along.

    P.S. There's a present for you at my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is why i hate making bread...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo, I love the bread bible! I got my first good loaf of rye out of that book (and it was heavenly). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hate making bread..I totally suck at anything to do with yeast..bleh..

    ReplyDelete