June 4, 2008

crescent roll joys part two: tomato, shallot, and mushroom pesto pizza

Now, I've heard that pizzas are really best with one or two simple ingredients. This one is not that. In fact, the jury's still out on whether we'd use the crescent roll crust again on this! Admittedly, the rolls are pretty damn buttery for a pizza; but it was a great way to have a savory fast dinner after a long walk around the lake.

Start with ye old crescent rolls and arrange in an ungreased pie pan thusly, until you have a nice little crust. Bake 10 minutes or so, until the crust is approaching a golden brown.

While the crust is baking, prepare your pizza ingredients. I chopped 3 plum tomatoes lengthwise, finely sliced a big shallot, sliced a handful of mushrooms, and shredded 3/4 cup of swiss and mozzarella cheese. I like my veggies to mellow usually, so I gave them a little spin in a saute pan with some hazelnut oil. (Yes, I swear I'll get off the hazelnut oil thing soon!)

When the crust is browned, remove it from the oven and drizzle it with the olive oil and follow that with the pesto. Layer on the cheese and toppings, along with any fresh herbs you desire. I threw in a few chopped basil leaves as well.

Increase the oven temperature to 400 and bake for 8 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown and bubble.

Et voila! You're a cheater, and no hardcore foodie, but you got a fast savory pizza for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment