June 3, 2008

crescent roll joys part one: shallot and tomato frittata pie

This was spawned both by my grandmother's allegedly-famous-though-I've-never-had-any zucchini pizza and by an impromptu Sunday brunch with my girls.

I may have already mentioned that I'm somewhat obsessed lately with shallots. I also finally made it to the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market on Saturday and blew about forty dollars on fresh produce.

Soo, when four of us were off to see the Sex and the City movie on a Sunday morning and I decided that whatever I can come up with is better than the typical brunch offerings, I decided to employ the techniques rumored at a recent family gathering detailing Grandmom's fabulous zucchini pizza featuring a quick and flaky crust made of that family favorite: Pilsbury crescent rolls.

It turned out wonderfully, though I didn't GET A PICTURE, thought I'd share the basics:

1 8oz roll of crescent rolls
4 eggs, minus two of the yolks to keep things light
2 T milk
1 T olive or hazelnut oil
3 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 large shallot, sliced thinly
1/3 C finely chopped fresh rosemary and basil
1/2 C shredded Italian or Swiss cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375o. Arrange the rolls in a pie pan and press seams together to resemble a pie crust. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

Whisk eggs with milk and add the cheese, then a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat oil in a saute' pan on medium high temperature and cook the tomatoes, shallots, and herbs until soft and until the shallots become clear. Remove from heat. Pour egg mixture into the saute' pan and mix with the veggies, then pour the mixture into the cooled crust.

Bake 8-12 minutes more, until the eggs have solidified and the top begins to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment